Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Special Particle 「만」

The one-form special particle 만 adds the meaning of “only” or “just” on the noun it attaches to. The special particle 만 can appear in place of the case particles 이/가 or 을/를.


The particle 만 can also be attached to an existing case particle, such as 에 and 에서.


The particle 만(just) can also appear after an adverb, such as 맛있게(deliciously) and 빨리 (fast).


* Click to read related posts.
Grammar for Beginners
Particles Part.1 (What are the particles in Korean)
Particles Part.2 (Case Particles)
Particles Part.3 (Special Particles)
The Special Particle 「은/는」
The Special Particle 「도」
The Special Particle 「이나」
The Special Particle 「부터, 까지」

* If you see any error in this post, let me know. Your help makes my blog better.



support me for better contents!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Thanks for sharing this. It is very well explained, but I have a question. I've been doing some online courses and in the following sentence:

    "There are only sixty-one books at the library." I translated it to "도서관에 책 예순한 권만 있습니다." however, the correction came as "도서관에 책 예순한 권만이 있습니다.", so I wonder why is there a subject particle "이" on this last one.

    I always learnt that the particle 만 replaces 이/가 or 을/를, but from this example I wrote it doesn't seem like. So both forms are correct? I can both keep the particle or drop it?

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello. thank you for your reply.

      the answer is "yes, you are right." both sentences are right but the one without 이 is more common. the one with 이 is more like an old sentence.

      Delete